Friday

5 Reasons Why I Hesitated to Try This RV Park

 

Hidden Valley RV Park CreekSites

I've seen so many RV Parks in all the directories and review sites.

When searching for a destination I saw 1000's of 5-star reviews.

But I've stayed in many RV Parks near big cities and was bombarded by city lights and noises, weekend warriors as neighbors to my RV site and long term sites with everything on them INCLUDING the kitchen sink.  But when I saw this RV Park on a recent video, I checked out their easy online booking site and booked a site for the weekend.

Before I tell you what I thought about this RV Park, here are 5 reasons I was afraid to give them a try.

1.  I didn't know how easy it would be to book a site.  

I went to their online booking site and was able to pick a specific site or let them choose one for me best suited to my RV size and type...   

I got an almost immediate confirmation email with info about my reservation (dates and rate paid) and was able to sign the reservation terms right there on the email, promising to streamline my check in upon arrival.  

They sent a follow up email before my arrival with helpful links, maps and tips for things to do while at the park, both in park and nearby in San Antonio.

I had occasion to call the park to ask a question and was greeted as if they knew me just from hearing my name, (how'd they do that?)  I was really impressed.

2.  I wasn't at all prepared for the reception I got upon arrival.

One of the staff ran out to meet us at our RV when we drove up.  She walked us inside and asked about our trip and how far we'd traveled.  She greeted us by name, I guess because we told her our RV type in advance.  

Once inside the registration office/camp store, they guided us to our site, gave us a city map and provided a virtual  tour of the city and several of our requested attractions including places to park and options for hiking, kayaking and biking.

3. The city WAS close even though the park was nestled in a valley only 15 minutes away. We expected to travel much further to sight see.  

Spent our first day following the advice we'd received at check in and everything was just as the park clerk mentioned.  We were able to park in one low cost lot with our dually truck and walk only a short distance to both the Alamo and the Riverwalk.  (First Presbyterian Church lot on 4th St and Ave E in case you go to San Antonio, great tip.)

We headed back to the park and noted a text on our phone inviting us to free coffee on Saturday morning and a campfire that evening at their Pavilion. 

We made plans to attend in the morning and spent the quietest night and best sleep ever.

4. We were concerned that the staff and clientele would be city types and not very friendly

After a delightful visit at the Trading Post with several other guests who obviously do this often (they had their own coffee mugs right there,) we took a long walk on the parks grounds. 

group gathering around a fireplace in a pavilion
We had so many questions about the things we saw on our walk so we barraged the office staff who were all too willing to share the history of their locality, their 200 acres and the changes the park had gone through over the years. We were impressed with the knowledge they had about many well known players in the country's history and how they figured into the actual history of the land the park stood on.  

The hospitality at the Saturday night fire was unequaled and the park and a few attendees brought some snacks and we sat around the fire for a couple hours getting to know the other guests and the park operators and staff.  Turns out some guests were almost what you'd call a resident, some were Winter Texans, others were remote workers or travel nurses, and many were like us, somewhat nearby travelers looking for a break from the routine.  The Pavilion was a great venue, outside but partially covered from the elements.

5.  I didn't think an RV Park so close to a big city like San Antonio could be the advertised, "tranquil" experience.  

Babbling creek

On our last day at the park we spent the morning fishing at the private Medio Creek.  Even though the park was close to full, I don't think we saw another person all day except the parks golf cart with a busy maintenance person on duty landscaping.  After his greeting, we were on our own to explore the very same land, they told us, that was lived on by indigenous Americans and traversed by American Revolutionaries, from Mexico's General Santa Anna to a Tennessee congressman, David Crockett and Texas General and the nearby cities namesake, Sam Houston.  

Final Thoughts

I have to admit I judged a book by it's cover when it comes to Hidden Valley RV Park.

But it turns out they're amazing for many reasons,  they're the epitome of hospitality, have a  diverse clientele, keep a clean and well maintained park and have the perfect combo of city convenience yet country tranquility and welcoming warmth.

We all need an occasional getaway and everyone knows that nature and the outdoors have a healthy effect on our life - why not take the chance like we did and give Hidden Valley RV Park a try.


This vacation experience was republished with permission from a guests travel blog.  Thanks much for sharing your experiences Carol.  We look forward to your next visit.  

To our prospective future guests, please feel free to call and schedule a free golf cart tour of our park and it's features.  We look forward to meeting you.

BOOK NOW

CALL US at 210-623-6737

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts exactly in every one! We loved the park and the Hist.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...